Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Who's guarding the henhouse?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8630160.stm


Anti-virus company Symantec warn us how much malware there is out there and why we should be scared. I don't know how much malware there is, but I find it hard to take the sub-headline (or whatever those things are called) very seriously regardless of the source and I'm especially wary considering it:

Hi-tech criminals are racking up more than 100 attacks a second on the world's computers, a survey suggests.

My first thought was "It's *not* the world's computer....it....it's...*mine*....." I'm not at all possessive about anything in the world....except my various and many computers. The hardest thing I have ever done is allow my three years old nephew to play lotro on my beloved laptop, scrafton, without FREAKING ALL THE WAY OUT when he smeared his filthy fingers all over my lovely screen and mashed my keys like they were oh potatoes I suppose. Although it was ultimately worth it to witness his glee when he jumped up onto the table in Bag End. He laughed for at least three minutes. He's obviously always wanted to jump on the table (I know I have) and it's only a matter of time until I get a table (and possibly a medical) bill from my sister in law.

But my second and slightly more noble thought was "Why is the BBC publishing adverts for private companies?"

As much as I'd love it to be a conspiracy and for someone to be revealed to be taking a bung, it's probably just laziness. If you've got fifty stories to knock out in a morning and a pile of press releases in your in tray, what are you going to do? It would be nice if what you are going to do is CHECK.

My brother probably knows about how much malware is marauding about the place. If his workshy foppishness allows him to screw in his monocle and read this, an unbiased opinion would be a cool thing to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment