Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The annotated bible

What I’m doing

Let’s see how far I can get with this before getting sick of it.  Probably not very far, it’s highly ambitious.  I’ll use the King James version. Although it’s not always the most accessible, it’s beautiful in places and it’s a version many people are familiar with.  I’ll start at the beginning, quote some verses and then make some comments.  Sometimes, cross referencing will be necessary, such as in the gospels, I expect.  I’m not looking forward to those parts, assuming I ever get that far.  Perhaps I’ll just stick to Genesis for now.

I’m hoping is that people will add further insights in the comments.

Why I’m doing it

I’m probably more familiar with at least parts of the bible than many Christians are.  But when I was taught Bible stories as a kid, there was a lot missing.  In fact, this was one of the things that convinced me that religion was nonsense.  Why pick out particular stories? Why sweep contradictions and other worrying material under the prayer mat?

Parts of the Bible are shocking, parts of it are bewilderingly contradictory, parts of it are just plain batshit insane.  It seems valuable to remember what the Bible actually says without the luxury of cherry-picking.

Let’s see how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment