Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The greatest moral force the world has ever known

Yes, I know, I know, I KNOW, alright?  I know that the Catholic Church has been complicit in stealing a generation of Spanish children because they didn’t like the look of the parents.  Some of them were women, for goodness sake.  I’ve just been busy and it’s taken a long time for me to get around to it.  And by now everything’s been said.

This is what happened: 300,000 women were told by nuns that the baby they’d just given birth to had died, when in fact the nuns had sold it to a family they decided was better.  This happened a lot to unmarried mothers.

It apparently began under Franco as political (if it can be called that) move, but the church was complicit throughout and carried on the practice into the 90s, long after Franco had gone.

Let’s just say that again: parents were told that their babies were dead.  Instead, they were stolen and sold.

It’s hard to imagine anything more cruel.

The greatest moral force the world has ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment