Friday, May 04, 2012

How could I possibly have known it was wrong to rape children?

"In 1975 no State or Church guidelines existed in the Republic of Ireland to assist those responding to an allegation of abuse against a minor. No training was given to priests, teachers, police officers or others who worked regularly with children about how to respond appropriately should such allegations be made."

-- Cardinal Brady

Nobody ever trained me how to deal with child rape, either.  But I’m pretty certain that my default position – due to lack of training – would not bot to protect the rapist.  I think I’d probably do every single possible thing in my power to stop the rapist raping anyone else and do whatever I could to help the victims.

I guess that’s just my lack of training showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment