Tuesday, June 25, 2013

More on NFC tags

I played about with Tasker and managed to do some fairly cool stuff.  I can now make bumping a tag do different things based on variables like location, time, date and even things like air pressure and strength of magnetic fields.

A simple example:

I can bump my phone on a wristband or necklace when I’m at home, and my phone will fire up navigator so I can plot a route.  When I’m not at home, it will fire up navigator and automatically plot a route home.

Or, more interestingly, when I’m at home it will toggle wifi or something and when I’m somewhere I don’t know – somewhere not a place I’ve specified such as work or my friends’ houses – it will plot the route home.

Fairly cool.

If you’re interested in this kind of thing, check out this guy: http://boingboing.net/2013/06/24/implanted-invisible-headphone.html

He has a magnet implanted in his ear which can be used as a speaker via a coil he wears round his neck.  He has very cool ideas about what to do with it, including echolocation and super-hearing. This could work with NFC tags too. Since my phone can detect magnetic field strength, he could hold it to his ear and bump it against a tag on his other wrist and that could trigger, say, playing or stopping music.  If the phone wasn’t to his ear, bumping the same tag would do something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment