Friday, July 05, 2013

My dad's settee

We had to sing hymns every morning at primary school.  There weren't enough hymn books to go around so, naturally, rather than sharing the books we had, the older kids got one each and the younger ones weren't allowed one at all. This was despite the fact that only the younger kids actually needed a hymn book, since they didn't know the words and the older ones did.

Because of this, for years I sang:
Dance, dance, wherever you may be,
I am the lord of my dad's settee,
And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,
And I'll lead you all in my dad's settee.
I knew these could not possibly be the real words but I couldn't fathom what the real ones might be.

The interesting thing is that when I was finally old enough to get a hymn book, the real words made no more sense than the furniture-based ones I'd invented.  What dance?  Lord of what fucking dance?  Who are all these people gyrating their way across Galilee? 

No comments:

Post a Comment